Posted on January 15 2018
February is Heart Disease and Health Awareness Month
Heart disease claims approximately 1 million lives annually. Tell us your personal experience, family member, or friend's experience with heart disease and health.
American Heart Month Statistics At a Glance
- 220.8 per 100,000: The overall rate of death attributable to CVD, based on 2014 data.
- On average, someone died of CVD every 40 seconds. That is about 2,200 deaths of CVD each day. (CVD=cardio vascular disease).
- On average, someone in the US has a stroke every 40 seconds. This is about 795,000 new or recurrent stroke each year. On average, someone died of a stroke every 4 minutes
- Stroke accounted for ≈1 of every 20 deaths in the United States.
- More than 65% of US adults have 2, 3, or 4 criteria at ideal cardiovascular health, with ≈20% adults within each of these categories. At any age, females tend to have more metrics at ideal levels than do males. Blacks and Hispanics tend to have fewer metrics at ideal levels than whites or other races.
- 85.7 million, or 34.0% of US adults are estimated to have hypertension, based on 2011-2014 data.
- 28.5 million, or 11.9% of US adults are estimated to have total serum cholesterol levels ≥240 mg/dL, based on 2011-2014 data.
- 23.4 million, or 9.1% of US adults are estimated to have diagnosed diabetes, based on 2011-2014 data.
- 1 in 6 males and 1 in 7 females in the United States are current smokers, based on 2015 data.
- On average, 1 in 3 adults, or 30.4% Do not engage in leisure time physical activity. Hispanic and Non-Hispanic black adults were more likely to be inactive.
February 2nd is National Wear Red Day.
Here are some ideas of jewelry to add for the month of February and especially for February 2nd.
Tell us your personal experience, family member, or friend's experience with heart disease and health.