February is Heart Disease and Health Awareness Month
Heart disease claims approximately 1 million lives annually. Tell us your personal experience, family member, or friend's experience with heart disease and health.
Heart disease describes a range of conditions that affect your heart. Heart diseases include:
- Blood vessel disease, such as coronary artery disease
- Heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias)
- Heart defects you're born with (congenital heart defects)
- Heart valve disease
- Disease of the heart muscle
- Heart infection
Many forms of heart disease can be prevented or treated with healthy lifestyle choices.
American Heart Month Statistics At a Glance
- Cardiovascular disease (CVD), listed as the underlying cause of death, accounted for 868,662 deaths in the US in 2017. •
- CVD claim more lives each year than all forms of cancer and Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease (CLRD) combined.
- • Between 2015 and 2018, 126.9 million American adults had some form of CVD. Between 2016 to 2017, direct and indirect costs of total CVD were $363.4 billion ($216.0 billion in direct costs and $147.4 billion in lost productivity/mortality).
- • In 2015 to 2018, 58.8% of non-Hispanic (NH) Black females and 60.1% of NH Black males had some form of CVD.
- • In 2018, Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) was the leading cause (42.1%) of deaths attributable to CVD in the US, followed by stroke (17.0%), high blood pressure (11.0%), heart failure (9.6%), diseases of the arteries (2.9%), and other CVD (17.4%).
- • CVD is the leading global cause of death, and accounted for approximately 18.6 million deaths in 2019.
- • CVD and stroke accounted for 13% of total health expenditures in 2014 to 2015. This is more than any major diagnostic group.
Ways to get involved:
February 4th is National Wear Red Day 2022.
Here are some ideas of jewelry to add for the month of February and especially for February 2nd.
Tell us your personal experience, family member, or friend's experience with heart disease and health.
New Year New by The House of Awareness
Other Causes in February.